[Qt-creator] Why QtC does not use QDockWidget for most tool-panel

Hunger Tobias Tobias.Hunger at theqtcompany.com
Fri Apr 8 11:13:30 CEST 2016

On Fr, 2016-04-08 at 11:35 +0300, Prav wrote:
<snip>
> You  have  modes  is  sense  of  layout profiles (I mean which widget are show
> and where they are) ... and while you can switch
> modes like for different common tasks this gives you a possibility to show any
> window side by side with any other window.
> Which can potentially allow you to see UI-editing windows together with code.
> Which would be so nice to several monitor configs.

I think multi-monitor support and dockwidgets are independent issues. We
definitely want the first, but I do not see a need for the second.

<snip>

> Modes is bad if they restrict you from showing some info. For me it seems that
> modes need to be configurable as user wants.

You are not going to be happy with Qt Creator then.

<snip>

> Evolution of many IDE's brought them to "DockWidget-everything". And it is
> clear why.
> Tons of usability questions disappear from IDE devs became users do layouting.

Tons of usability questions were moved from the developers (who should care
about them) to the users (who should not).

<snip>
> This whould not hurt anyone.

This would hurt *everyone*.

Everyone has less screen space for the important stuff. I routinely demo Qt
Creator on screens with 1024x768 pixels. Try that with the competition that
wastes screen space drawing drag handles around everything:-)

You will also get lots of people wasting time on fiddling with the UI instead of
getting their work done.

Best Regards,
Tobias

--
Tobias Hunger, Senior Software Engineer | The Qt Company
Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Tuula Haataja Sitz der Gesellschaft: