[Qt-creator] Why QtC does not use QDockWidget for most tool-panel

Hunger Tobias Tobias.Hunger at theqtcompany.com
Fri Apr 8 18:34:00 CEST 2016

On Fr, 2016-04-08 at 13:18 +0300, Prav wrote:
> > > Modes is bad if they restrict you from showing some info. For me it seems
> > > that
> > > modes need to be configurable as user wants.
> > You are not going to be happy with Qt Creator then.
> Mmmm ... what do you want to say with this?

If "dockable widgets for everything" is as important to you as it seems to be,
then you probably will prefer other IDEs over Qt Creator: Qt Creator does not
have those right now and I do not see it getting "dockable widgets everywhere"
anytime soon -- even if everybody started to work into that direction right now
it will probably take a couple of releases get there.

That is all I wanted to say with my statement.

> Hunger Tobias, can you be specific and clear in your ideas ... as soon as many
> your ideas looks false or require extra questions asked.
> And this idea: "You are not going to be happy with Qt Creator then" ... is
> like ... WHAT?!

If I did hurt your feelings, then I do want to apologize for that. That was not my intention.

> Why in the world I would say someone with what they will be happy/not happy?
> Moving discussions to emotional states makes them unconstructive. Can we avoid
> that?

The choice of IDE is a very personal thing and does involve a lot of emotions.
Try asking any seasoned developer to switch IDEs and you will be at the
receiving end of a *lot* of feelings!

I want happy Qt Creator users that are passionate about their choice of IDE.
Happy users will bring around their coworkers in time, so that we can have more
happy users:-)

So any change does involve feelings. Looking at the mails I get sometimes: A
*lot* of feelings!

> I would suggest here to switch to more detailed discussion of tech ideas
> without discussion of phylosophical matters (like happyness)?
> This is not a questions for devs mailing lists.

Implement a proof of concept and show that the idea works well in the context of
Qt Creator. Then we have a technical details to have a technical discussion.

Till then we only got feelings to discuss: You feel that dockwidgets are worth
having, I feel that they are probably not, Eike feels that such a change might
involve too much work that is better spent elsewhere. None of us has hard facts
to back up their feelings.

Best Regards,
Tobias

--
Tobias Hunger, Senior Software Engineer | The Qt Company
Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Tuula Haataja Sitz der Gesellschaft: