[Qt-creator] run button disabled bug on FreeBSD

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 15:57:05 CEST 2016

Hi Ralf,

Am 18.06.2016 10:57 schrieb "Ralf Nolden" <nolden at kde.org>:

> Hi,
>
> in https://blog.qt.io/blog/2016/06/08/qt-creator-4-0-1-released/
>
> one of the last comments was that the run button is disabled
> on 4.0.1 (I did the FreeBSD port so the user apparently installed it from
> the FreeBSD packages). I can confirm this happening on FreeBSD 10.3 from
> qtcreator 4.0 onward, 3.6.1 and before didn't have that problem.

There apparently is a race condition somewhere that causes the qmake Parser
to fail once and then there is no way to recover from that anymore.

To verify whether you got the same problem: Please hover the disabled run
button. If it says something along the line of "parsing failed", then you
got that, too.

The fastest work-around is to open a .pro-file, modify that and save it.
That re-enables the run button.

> Now I did a quick test on a vm with FreeBSD 9.3 that still used gcc as its
> system compiler and there the runbutton works as intended (using qt 5.5.1
and
> qtcreator 4.0.1 from packages), so it must have something to do with the
> freebsd/clang combination. The problem is also verified on 11-current
systems.

> OpenBSD doesn't have this problem either (just to veryfy it's a
clang/freebsd
> issue, OpenBSD uses gcc).

I was experimenting with the add file functionality on Friday, which is a
way to trigger the broken run button according to bug reports I got. So far
I tried adding 1000files on Linux (without problem) and on Windows (where
the test takes too long and stops after about 200 files and several pop-ups
about being out of disk space). But so far I could not trigger the broken
run button.

Any idea how to reproduce the issue is welcome! Maybe I should try building
with gcc on Linux... if this is compiler dependent, then switching from
clang (which I use most of the time) to gcc might trigger this.

Best Regards,
Tobias