[Qt-creator] Autocomplete oddities

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Wed May 18 09:48:36 CEST 2016

> On May 17, 2016, at 4:12 PM, Murphy, Sean <smurphy at walbro.com> wrote:
>
> I’m having a couple issues with autocomplete, that I’m starting to wonder if I’m the only one. They’re pretty obvious issues, but no one has reported them (or I’m not searching on the correct keywords). I’m having the issue with the following Qt Creator, but I think I was having it with the previous released version too?
>
> Qt Creator 4.0.0
> Based on Qt 5.6.0 (MSVC 2013, 32 bit)
> Built on May 10 2016 01:09:29
> From revision 605ea627cc
>
> For both of my issues, I did the following:
> 1.       Created a new Qt Widget based application
> 2.       In the MainWindow constructor, I’m trying to type the following line. Don’t worry about whether it makes sense to connect these two, this is just about how autocomplete is behaving, I’m not actually even going to compile this example:
> connect(this,&MainWindow::destroyed,
>             this,&MainWindow::deleteLater);
>
> Issue #1
> When typing the example line, I type up to the first ‘&’ and get the following. I know at some point in the past, as soon as I’d type the ‘&’ autocomplete would suggest that I want to type “MainWindow” next, but that no longer happens.

I think there is a difference how this currently is handled in the completion for the built-in code model and the Clang code model.
Please note that in 4.0 Qt Creator automatically uses the Clang code model if the plugin is turned on (it is off by default), can you please check if you have, and if going back to built-in restores the behavior that you are used to?

Seems to be similar to https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-16218
I wonder if this is related to https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-52230 though.