[Qt-creator] Qt Creator Sharing Project Configurations

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 16:16:31 CET 2016

Hi Christoph,

Am 21.11.2016 09:48 schrieb "Christoph Mathys" <eraserix at gmail.com>:
> Anything wrong with just copying the respective files
> ({profiles,debuggers,toolchains,cmaketools}.xml) into
> ~/.config/QtProject/qtcreator?

Yes. These settings are highly specific to each computer. If you can be
sure that all users have a very similar setup (where copying would work),
then you usually have a common administrator... And she can just patch the
QtC installer to register the necessary things via sdktool. That way the
kits, etc. are actually set up for the installation locations, etc. So the
setups can be a but more diverse:-)

> This way, I get to preconfigure all
> kits that we use and anyone that needs to setup a new project can
> hardcode the guid into the projects .user file.

You can do that -- if you can be sure everybody has a very similar setup.
That can work for developers in one company working on one project --
provided they all have very similar setups. It will never work e.g. for a
typical open source project.

I would try to move as much functionality out of creator and into the build
system itself as I possibly can! The closer you get to "qmake && make" the
better!

> Is there a global (readonly) place to store this information?

Yes, there is. SDKtool puts the information there (from QtC binary:
../share/qtcreator/QtProject/qtcreator IIRC).

Best Regards,
Tobias