[Qt-creator] Announcement: New UI Git plugin for QtCreator

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 13:32:47 CET 2019

On Mon, 16 Dec 2019 at 22:01, Francesc Martinez <francescmm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Today I've announced in the Planet that I've released a plugin to integrate Git in QtCreator. I know that a long while ago there was someone asking to integrate one of the Qt Git apps into the IDE and I'm confident to said that this is done. And with GPLv2 license, of course!
>
> I've you have not seen the post in the planet you can find it here:
> https://www.francescmm.com/new-git-plugin-for-qtcreator/
>
> In addition, you can download the plugin directly from GitHub:
> https://github.com/francescmm/GitQlientPlugin/releases/tag/v1.0.0
>
> I've compiled and tested it in Windows and Linux (main OS).
>
> I'll be happy if you can provide feedback about improvements, fixes, etc.
>
> I hope you don't see this as pure spam since I just want to give back something to the Qt community after all this years of learning.

Looking at the screenshots, this looks interesting, will try it tomorrow.
I didn't quite get, what's the common code base with? Is it related to 'qgit'?
I tend to prefer git in command line (eg. 'git lola' gives you this
'guitar hero' feeling [1]), but i sometimes use qgit, and QtC's own
git plugin.
My main grief with QtC git integration is the python language server
kicking in with error messages each time i open a git textual view.
I actually rarely use QtC to deal with my git workflow ( git fetch +
git rebase, or just git rebase -i), cmake is causing so much churn on
each rebase (PS: This is not a cmake rant email).
I usually prefer to switch to console mode for my git operations and
then wait for a minute or two, and switch back to QtC when the rebase
got 'digested'.
Frozen UI is the worst UX. I got to a point where i prefer to manage
my important builds manually, and only switch to QtC once the checkout
stabilise (cmake, clang code model, unit test scanner, ...).

Just random feedback really (and a bit OT)... will give it a try.

Chris

[1] http://blog.kfish.org/2010/04/git-lola.html