[Qt-creator] Breaking changes from QtCreator 4.10 to 4.11?

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Wed Feb 19 15:36:42 CET 2020

> On Feb 19, 2020, at 13:27, Francesc Martinez <francescmm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Eike,
>
> El mié., 19 feb. 2020 a las 13:22, Eike Ziller (<Eike.Ziller at qt.io>) escribió:
>
> The 7zips do not contain it, right. Though we could and should provide the sdktool.7z there as well.
>
> Replacing the content of what the installer installed behind its back will probably bite you in other ways as well. The installer keeps a bill of materials of things to deinstall for example.
> You can install Qt Creator from the offline installer somewhere else, and either set up Qt versions manually, or use a trick to share the setup by creating a symbolic links from <Qt>/Tools/QtCreator/share/qtcreator/QtProject to the new Qt Creator’s share/qtcreator location. Qt Creator 4.12 adds a hint and button that does something similar for you directly.
>
> That would solve the issues when installing/uninstalling. The problem remains in the fact that I have not sdktool but also in the fact that Qt Creator 4.10 doesn't recognize automatically the Kits added with the new installer.
>
> I'm actually more worried about the second thing.

sdktool is used by the installer to write the information Qt Creator needs about the Qt installations.
No sdktool -> no automatic kits
Also the information is written into <qt>/Tools/QtCreator/share/qtcreator/QtProject
If you remove & overwrite that directory, you also remove all information that was written for Qt Creator by the installer.
Best is to leave the whole Qt installer directory alone.

Br, Eike

--
Eike Ziller
Principal Software Engineer