[Qt-interest] Question regarding running multiple Qt applications within a single view.

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at maps-technology.com
Sat Jun 6 14:15:16 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Saturday 06 Jun 2009 13:07:14 simith nambiar wrote:
> Hell All,
>               Greetings, this is my first e-mail to the list. I'am a newbie
> to Qt, and would like to write an application using Qt. The following are
> the requirements,
>
> 1.) The application will have a mobile phone like interface (but for the
> desktop screen). 2.) should be able to run (Spawn) independent
> applications, in a single view. This means that, the Contact List is a
> different application from the SMS Inbox or the File Manager.
>
> 3) should run on the desktop and should be portable to an embedded device
> with minimum effort.
>

> Point 2 is what i'am concerned of, is it doable in Qt ? where i have a
> contact book application, E-mail application etc, which are seperate Qt
> applications, but need to run on the same view ? They are seperate
> applications as we want to encourage 3rd parties to develop applications
> and do not want the applications to share a single address space and be
> constrained by each others I/O, or memory constraints. Something similar to
> what Android has achieved, where programs are run using a seperate virtual
> machine, so that if one of the programs crashes the other applications
> remain unaffected !
>
> Please can someone guide me in achieving this ?
Have you considered just writing a bunch of apps and running them as follows:

(i) On the desktop, let the window manager take care of them as per any other
desktop app.

(ii) On the desktop but testing for embedded device, use Qt Embedded and run
them via the qvfb (virtual framebuffer) application.

(iii) On your target device just use Qt Embedded

I don't understand the reason for wanting to replicate the window manager's
job on the desktop.

Cheers,

Sean