[Qt-interest] Mac 10.5.6 Qt3 messed up X11 fonts

Murphy, Sean M. sean.murphy at gd-ais.com
Wed Mar 18 20:12:51 CET 2009

> Our app came from Linux and we've ported it to use Apple/X11. We are
> slowly moving to Qt4.

I'm hoping we can get to you Qt3 on Apple with no X11 as an intermediate
step.

> > Totally understand, I'm in the same boat with a Qt3 app I have,
which is
> > why I had to dig around to get Qt 3.3.8 to build under OS X 10.5.
I'd
> > definitely try to see if you can get a native Mac build rather than
> > using the X11 version.  If you're app is truly Qt, and you aren't
making
> > explicit X11 calls yourself, it should take almost no work to port
your
> > app over - once you have the Mac native version of Qt3 built.
>
> I put up a stock 10.5.6 Leopard system, copied over our development
code,
> and recompiled 3.3.8. I tried the "fontdemo" example and that too has
the
> same font issue. I'm kind of at a loss here as to what is happening.

And you're sure that this 3.3.8 that you've recompiled is the Mac OS X
native version of Qt? It doesn't use X11 at all?

To build the Mac OS X native version you should be building from
qt-mac-free-3.3.8.tar.bz2 ***NOT*** from qt-x11-free-3.3.8.tar.bz2.  It
looks like you can still download this version from
ftp://ftp.qtsoftware.com/qt/source/ if you don't have the correct one on
your system.

I can try running the Mac OS X native version of fontdemo tonight and
see if it works fine on my system.

Sean