[Qt-interest] A question about MDI

John McClurkin jwm at nei.nih.gov
Tue Apr 13 13:53:56 CEST 2010

Wm. G. Urquhart wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I really just need to check that I won't be wasting my time. I want to
> write and MDI application that will contain 'documents' that will have
> no real user interaction on 'internal' feedback. Each of these
> 'documents' is a mathematical problem being solved and with solution
> times of up to about 12 minutes I want to keep the UI updated.
>
> Each of the documents' solver provide information about their progress
> that I want to display on the document's interface. But am I right in
> thinking this won't happen due to the way MDI works. I.E. the interface
> will only get updated when the user (or application) gives it focus. The
> actual solve process will of course be on a thread within the 'document'.
>
> I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

I have a MDI application that updates mulitple views based on user input
to any of the open views. Views do not have to have focus to be updated.
  A view class just emits a signal to the parent class when it does
something requiring updating and the parent class reemits the signal to
all other MDI views which then redraw themselves.