[Qtwebengine] QtWebEngine + ANGLE

Kevin Ushey kevinushey at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 18:16:17 CEST 2018

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 1:11 AM Michael Bruning <Michael.Bruning at qt.io>
wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>

> > On 8. Aug 2018, at 04:54, Kevin Ushey <kevinushey at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > If I'm understanding correctly, QtWebEngine doesn't support ANGLE, as
> per e.g.
> >

> http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/qtwebengine/2017-August/000461.html
> >     https://wiki.qt.io/QtWebEngine/Rendering#Rendering_without_the_GPU
> >

> You can use ANGLE with Qt WebEngine on Windows, it just comes with some
> limitations:
>    - we have to turn hardware acceleration off for the Chromium part
>    - WebGL does not work
>
> This is due to the fact that when running WebEngine, we usually have two
> threads accessing the GPU, one being the Qt SceneGraph thread and the other
> being Chromium’s GPU thread. ANGLE does not handle multithreaded access
> well (e.g. it may crash or render some weird artefacts) and for that
> reason, we switch the Chromium part to not use the GPU. The Qt SceneGraph
> will still use HW acceleration, but Chromium’s content will be rendered in
> SW prior to being uploaded to the GPU by the SceneGraph.

In our case, our application is effectively a single-page web application
(ie the whole application surface, minus the menu bar, is rendered by
Chromium) so slowness in Chromium rendering implies our application will be
slow. For that reason, I think we need hardware acceleration in Chromium if
at all possible.

Is there any hope that this could be mediated -- for example, by allowing
one to opt-in to using hardware acceleration with ANGLE in Chromium, but
then request that the Qt SceneGraph be rendered in software? (Or is this
something that we would not expect to work?)