[Releasing] Release process for QMF and Qt Mobility

Turunen Tuukka Tuukka.Turunen at digia.com
Thu Dec 13 15:01:10 CET 2012

On 13.12.2012 14.59, "Robin Burchell" <robin+qt at viroteck.net> wrote:

>Hi Tuukka,
>
>On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 3:15 AM, Turunen Tuukka
><Tuukka.Turunen at digia.com> wrote:
>> Yes. Although most of the current work of e.g. ex-Mobility modules is
>>inside Qt 5 it is still desired to do at least one official upgrade of
>>these, maybe more if there is need.
>
>We plan on using Qt Mobility at least for our first software release
>(before migration to Qt 5), so I think it's safe to say that we'd like
>to see a few more, depending on patches, yes.

Good.

>> There are some nice fixes on top of 1.2.2 so the next bundle should be
>>1.2.3.
>
>I'd agree with 1.2.3, or 1.3.0 - I kind of prefer sticking with 1.2.x
>as 1.3.x usually implies (at least in Qt land) that there have been
>some reasonably large changes, and that isn't really the case.

There were some comments in the list and seems that 1.3.0 is slightly
winning.

>> The key issue is to run verification for all those platforms we have in
>>4.8. So in case you can also test the baseline on reference win, mac,
>>linux configs it helps a lot in getting the release out.
>
>If by "test the baseline" you mean running tests, then doing that for
>all of the platforms isn't really possible for us, as we don't have
>the platform expertise to do that. However: we can offer to volunteer
>effort towards getting build (and autotests) running at least on Linux
>in CI (presumably working with Sergio or someone who has access to the
>CI system), and the tests in some form of reasonable shape though, as
>this is an area that we do know more about (as we're working on Linux)
>and this work directly benefits us.

We can put this to gerrit / CI in January, but need help form you and
others to fix possible issues with tests.

Having it in CI will help with keeping good quality. Some 4.8 parts have
been a bit tricky to get into CI and for sure Mobility will not be optimal
when testing in the desktop platforms.

>> In case you have more fixes coming in during 2013 it might make sense
>>to do the 1.2.3 release first and base the development on it.
>
>I'd agree.

Yours,

		Tuukka