[Releasing] First attempt at testing the Windows binary installer

Iikka Eklund iikka.eklund at digia.com
Tue Jun 5 14:03:43 CEST 2012

Good observations,we are working on these items.

>  Item 16 below is the most worrying item found so far.

 > 16. After Finishing the instllation, I could not find any Start Menu
shortcuts relating to the Qt package.

This is because it's not implemented/added into install phase scripts yet.

- iikka

On 06/05/2012 12:39 PM, jason.mcdonald at nokia.com wrote:
> [...]
>
> 14. The Show Details box does not get a horizontal scrollbar when the text is too wide to fit.
>
> 15. After installation finishes you need to click Next, which takes you to another page where all you can do is click Finish, which seems a little pointless. Was this final page intended to have some shortcuts to docs or demos like the Qt 4 installer did?
>
> 16. After Finishing the instllation, I could not find any Start Menu shortcuts relating to the Qt package.
>
> Post Install:
>
> 17. In Control Panel>  Programs and Features, the product version is shown as 1.0.0 instead of 5.0.0.
>
> Testing repeat installation:
>
> 18. When running the installer a second time, the default Start Menu group is the same as for the first installation, which i presume will attempt to overwrite the existing items from the first install run, though I can't be sure due to item 16 above.
>
> 19. After installing the package in three different directories, the Control Panel>  Programs and Features dialog shows QtSDK only once.  The instance shown appears to be the last installation (deduced because I installed different components each time).
>
> 20. It is possible to install only the sources component, which seems a little contrary to the goals of a binary package.
>
> Uninstallation/Update:
>
> 21. In Control Panel>  Programs and Features, right click on QtSDK and select "Change".  In the resulting Wizard, select Package Manager and on the next page click "Deselect All"m then next -- the installer lets you uninstall all components, but does treat the whole package as being uninstalled.
>
> 22. After the steps in 20, the last page of the wizard has a "Restart" button. Click it, then select "Package Manager" and click next.  The wizard now thinks its an online installer and give an error "Invalid repository URL:\nhttp:/qt5repository/windows/x32/online_qt5sdk_repo.".  This URL is invalid (there should be two slashes after the colon), but the installer shouldn't have revert5ed to online in the first place.
>
> 23. After uninstalling the most recent install, the QtSDK disappears from Control Panel>  Programs and Features, so the earlier instances cannot be uninstalled via control panel -- you have to go to the instllation directory and manually launch SDKMaintenanceTool.exe.
>
> 24. Clicking "Update components" always gives the same error message as in 22 above.
>
> 25. The Progress bar shown for uninstallation is not useful.  Starts at 33% and stays there until jumping to 100% when uninstallation is complete.
>
> Other observations:
>
> 26. In the package directory, package naming appears a little inconsistent.  Source packages don't mention beta in the filename and binary packages start with "Q" while source pacakges start with "q".

Br,
Mr. Iikka Eklund
Senior software engineer

Elektronikkatie 10
FI-90590 Oulu
Email: iikka.eklund at digia.com

Visit us at: www.digia.com or qt.digia.com
PRIVACY AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message and any attachments are intended only for use by the named
addressee and may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If
you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, copy or take
any action in reliance on it. If you have received this message in
error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the message and
any attachments accompanying it. Digia Plc does not accept liability for
any corruption, interception, amendment, tampering or viruses occurring
to this message.