[Releasing] First attempt at testing the Windows binary installer

jason.mcdonald at nokia.com jason.mcdonald at nokia.com
Wed Jun 6 10:27:04 CEST 2012

This time looking at the files that got installed.  Due to the lack of start menu shortcuts, I resorted to browsing the installed directory tree and trying to launch various binaries directly.

It should be noted that in lieu of any requirements to test against, I have been testing based on my knowledge of the Qt 4.7 and earlier binary packages (for which I maintained packaging scripts many moons ago).

Tested installer: http://releases.qt-project.org/qt5.0/beta-snapshots/2012-06-04_19-47-13/Qt-5.0-beta-offline-win-x86_msvc2010.exe
Test platform: Windows 7 Enterprise, Service Pack 1, 64bit

Assistant: Fails to launch, instead displaying an "assistant has stopped working" dialog.  Crash dump file available on request.  Same happens when Assistant is launched from the Help menu of other apps (e.g. first three help menu items in Designer).

Designer: Works

Linguist: Partly works

- Select Help > What's New, then click on one of hte toolbar buttons. Now try to select another menu item, Linguist crashes (Windows displays a "Qt Linguist has stopped working" dialog, but does not appewar to generate a crash dump file).

- When launched Linguist displays a splash screen but it disappears before it is possible to read it.

QML Demos (launched via bin/qmlscene.exe): Works

QML Demos (launched via bin/qmlviewer.exe): Fails. After opening some .qml files, QML Viewer just shows a blank white window.

Examples and Demos:

- These cannot be launched directly from Windows Explorer because they cannot find the Qt DLL's.  (Typical error: "The program can't start because QtWidgetsd5.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

- Running examples from a command prompt where the installed bin directory has been added to %PATH% works.

- the structure of the examples directory seems a bit broken.  Some of it is like Qt 4 with examples directly under the examples directory, e.g. examples/animation, but some is in module direcxtories, e.g. examples\qtdeclarative/calculator.  Some of the folders under module directories contain duplicates of the examples that are outside module directories, e.g. the .exe for animatedtiles is in both examples/animation and examples/qtbase/animation.

ActiveQt examples: Ok

Animation examples: Ok

Declarative examples:

- Some declarative examples still "import QtQuick 1.0" and therefore don't run under qmlscene.exe.

- Many declarative examples are in Src but not in Desktop, e.g. samegame.  (Is the pacakge's Desktop tree the product of "make install"?)

- In the installed tree, declarative examples are divided between examples/declarative and examples/qtdeclarative for no obvious reason.

- calcalator demo fails on line "import content" with "no such file or directory".

Dialogs demos: Ok

Drag and drop demos: Ok

Graphicsview demos: Ok, except portedasteroids and portedcanvas not built

IPC demos: Ok

Mainwindows demos: Ok

Network demos: Ok, except bearercloud and securesocketclient not built

OpenGL demos: Ok, except samplebuffers, which doesn't display anything

Painting demos:

- affine, deform, gradients and pathstroke demos assert if you click on the "Use OpenGL" button.  'ASSERT: "pd" in file painting/qpainter.cpp, line 1696'.

- basicdrawing demo doesn't repaint when the shape drop-down is modified (maximize/restore forces it to repaint).

- painterpaths demo doesn't repaint when either of the "Fill Gradient" drop downs are changed (maximize/restore forces it to repaint). Also, the last spinbox field displays a question-mark-inside-diamond symbol after the spinbox value (should be displaying degrees symbol).

- transformation demo doesn't repaint when drop-downs are changed (maximize/restore forces repaint).

SQL demos: Ok

Statemachine demos: Ok

Threads examples: Ok

Tools examples:

- completer example asserts if you select "Country List" and then type 'a' in the lineedit.  'ASSERT failure in QVector<T>::operator[]: "index out of range".'

Touch demos: not tested as I don't have multitouch input device

Webkit demos: not built in package

Widgets demos:

- In the calculator demo, four of the buttons show a question mark inside a black diamond instead of the correct symbol. Perhaps some kind of font issue.

- shapedclock demo shows black corners (I presume they should be transparent).

Printing (from Chips demo): Works

Other observations:

- The lack of the old qtdemo launcher makes it much harder to see what demos are available, to find demos for a specific feature, to find docs for a demo, and to run demos (because you can't run them manually without setting the path to the Qt libs in the environment).  It would be great if we could get qtdemo working again, but i guess that won't happen in time for 5.0.0.

- The "About Qt" dialog still refers to "Qt for Embedded Linux" and "Qt for Windows CE".  This probably needs to be updated.

- The installed directory structure looks like the QtSDK, not a stand-alone Qt package.

- The package installs duplicates of the Qt dll's in both bin and lib directories.

- The installed pacakge does not appear to contain any html docs (only doc sources).

- The installed directory tree contains a lot of "tmp" directories.

- The installed files appear to be timestamped when installed.  Qt 4 packages kept the source timestamps.

- Checkboxes don't look right -- the tick only fills the top-left quarter of the box.  This may be caused by my font-size being set to 150%, but it still should paint properly.

- The installed package has an empty include directory (C:\users\<username>\QtSDK\Desktop\Qt\5.0.0\msvc2010\include). Should this have the forwarding headers to the src directory?  What if the user chose to install the "Desktop" component but not the "Src" component?

--
Jason