[Web] Consolidating download locations

Sergio Ahumada sergio.ahumada at digia.com
Wed Jul 24 12:23:20 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 07/24/2013 12:12 PM, Sze Howe Koh wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There are multiple download locations, some more maintained than
> others. There are also versions of Qt stuck in limbo (more below).
> This caused a user to think that releases have stagnated
> (http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/30266), and others to fail at

No idea who maintains (if maintained) that Jenkins instance.

> finding Qt 4.8.1 (http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/30193,

I think the FTP is for pretty old stuff now.
Actually, the "Other downloads -> Archive for old versions" in the
http://qt-project.org/downloads page was changed. It used to point to
the FTP site but now points to http://download.qt-project.org/archive/

> http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/30217/)

1) I don't think there is one place to find the change log files other
than in the release blog posts.
2) http://download.qt-project.org/ is the place.

> These seem unmaintained:
>      http://origin.releases.qt-project.org/qt4/source/ -- Latest is Qt
> 4.8.4 (source only)
>      http://origin.releases.qt-project.org/qt5/ -- Latest is Qt 5.0.1
>      http://origin.releases.qt-project.org/qtcreator/ -- Latest is Qt
> Creator 2.7.0

I thought these were gone already. They are not maintained and the
domain was actually meant to be removed. I'll ask internally about it
(most likely in August though, when everybody is back from vacations)

> The preferred place to store/get releases seems to be in subdirectories of:
>      http://qt-project.org/downloads
>
> ...but not all pages can be reached by normal means. To get Qt 4.8.0
> -- 4.8.4, one needs to go to:
>      http://download.qt-project.org/official_releases/qt/4.8/
>
> ...but this page can't be reached through links alone from
>      http://qt-project.org/downloads

This is true. I think they (4.8.0--4.8.4) need to be moved to the
archive http://download.qt-project.org/archive/qt/

> I presume that, under the current scheme, users will be unable to find
> Qt 5.1.0 when 5.1.1 is released. It would be good to tidy up the
> download tree.

Yes, they should be able to find 5.1.0 under the archive as well once
5.1.1 is released.

I'll try to do some clean up today.

> Regards,
> Sze-Howe