[Development] Qt Contributors Summit: when and where

Richard Moore rich at kde.org
Tue Jan 3 21:14:49 CET 2012

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 6:11 PM,  <marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com> wrote:
> On 03/01/2012 11:14, ext Quim Gil wrote:
>> After many discussions with many people we seem to agree on the following:
>>
>> - The first edition was a success and it is out of question that we need
>> to keep organizing this event in 2012.
>
> Agreed. Now that we *are* under Open Governance, it's even more
> important to have these events.

I thought it was really useful, the only bad point was the lack of
opengov in time for the start. That's now solved.

>> - It's good to keep aiming to get about 200 people as long as it's the
>> right people instead of trying to grow just because - losing agility and
>> effectiveness in collaboration and getting things done.
>
> Sounds good. But how do you limit that, should interest be larger than
> 200 people? Ordered by random, first come - first server, number of
> commits, reviews, IRC chat lines? :)

I think there's still a need to keep the numbers limited if we want to
actually get things done. It would be too easy for this to turn into a
support session. As to how to draw the line, I'll leave that to
someone else.

[snip]

>> - How many rooms, which capacity? No need to get into details but having
>> a rough idea would be useful in order to book the right amount of space.
>> For you this means what type of event do you want: was the event last
>> year good or would you prefer a different distribution? For us booking
>> the venue it has clear implications in the contract and the budget.
>
> Last year I got the impression that the number of rooms were fine, but
> the size of (some of) the rooms were not. Some sessions had people
> standing up against the wall, and sitting on the floor, and too little
> ventilation. Lets not do that again.

Yes, I think we need a few bigger rooms than we had last year. We had
lots of rooms that were good for small sessions, but the big ones were
totally overfull which was no fun for anyone.

Cheers

Rich.