[Development] Proposal: Change Qt Slogan

Samuel Rødal samuel.rodal at nokia.com
Tue May 22 11:06:02 CEST 2012

On 05/22/2012 10:53 AM, ext d3fault wrote:
> I think we need a slogan change so as not to lie to our users.
>
> Old Slogan: Code Once. Create More. Deploy Everywhere.
> New Slogan: Code Once. Create More. Deploy Everywhere that supports OpenGL + v8.
>
> The reasons are self-explanatory.
> The v8 part might only be true for the 5.0.0 release... but it appears
> the OpenGL requirement is here for good.

What would you propose as an alternative to OpenGL? A software backend
for QML 2, which lets you use GLSL for custom effects (which makes a lot
of sense)?

Why not just use Gallium llvmpipe or another software OpenGL
implementation then. Llvmpipe even achieves better performance than the
GPU on some low end systems (although with higher CPU usage and thus
power consumption, but you probably already accepted those consequences
when you chose a system without OpenGL acceleration).

--
Samuel