[Development] Proposal: Change Qt Slogan

lars.knoll at nokia.com lars.knoll at nokia.com
Tue May 22 11:45:28 CEST 2012

On 5/22/12 11:39 AM, "ext Uwe Rathmann" <Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de> wrote:

>On 05/22/2012 10:53 AM, d3fault wrote:
>
>> Old Slogan: Code Once. Create More. Deploy Everywhere.
>
>I'm afraid the options will be: code twice or to deploy not everywhere.
>
>While Qt4 widgets were a full replacement of Qt3 widgets it is not clear
>when - or if ever - Qt components will be able to supersede widgets on
>all platforms.
>
>Until this had happened you have to decide in which camp you want your
>application to be. Even worse is the situation for a library, where you
>want/need to serve both camps. Even if Qt5 is almost source code
>compatible the consequences of this duality are much worse than what was
>necessary to port from Qt3 to Qt4.
>
>If I had a wish for Qt5 I would vote for a solution how to use widgets
>and components in the same application.

Currently this is possible, but only within different top level windows.
Mixing within one top level is something thatI really would like to enable
with Qt 5.1. Maybe it's possible to do this even as an add-on (a
QQmlWidget class) if you're not afraid to hook into some of the private
API of QtQuick.

Cheers,
Lars