[Development] Binary compatibility for qtestlib

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at theqtcompany.com
Wed May 20 13:28:26 CEST 2015

On 20/05/15 13:16, "Hausmann Simon" <Simon.Hausmann at theqtcompany.com>
wrote:

>‎Hi,
>

>Lately development of testlib picked up again and I've been wondering:
>the api consists of a fair amount of macros that call "internal"
>functions. It would be convenient to change the signature
> of those while maintaining source compatibility, however it would
>naturally break the ABI.
>

>On the one hand testlib is certainly not relevant for app deployment,
>otoh it is part of binary Qt distributions.
>

>So do we maintain binary compatibility for testlib‎?

I don’t see a strong use case for staying binary compatible with testlib.
But the use case you mention here could be solved by letting the macros
call new functions and keeping the old ones around. We could simply mark
the old ones as deprecated and remove them in Qt 6.

Are you thinking about any other changes that we couldn’t solve that way?

Cheers,
Lars