[Development] HDR Support in Qt and Angle

Oliver Wolff Oliver.Wolff at qt.io
Fri Nov 23 13:26:23 CET 2018

Hi,

On 21/11/2018 10:43, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

We've been working with Intel for some time now on figuring out how to support
HDR in Krita. Dmitry has made some initial progress, hacking on Angle and Qt
to make this possible. Right now, only Windows and Direct3D support HDR,
though Intel is also working on support on Linux.

Other Qt applications, like VLC, implement a custom Direct3D widget, but since
all our code is opengl, that wouldn't have worked for Krita.

Here's the first report with some links to code: https://
dimula73.blogspot.com/2018/11/krita-fall-2018-sprint-results-hdr.html

What I'm wondering is, have other people been working on this as well, or
thinking about it? And what would be needed to get our code upstreamed. I
remember that trying to get the modernized code for QOpenGLPainter pushed was
quite hard, so I wanted to reach out as soon as possible.

I am not aware of anyone having any plans about that. How hard it is to get things upstreamed into Qt depends on the general approach. If you want to upstream your changes to Angle and use an updated version in Qt it might take a (long) while. The last Angle update we did was not to anything near current HEAD as Angle drops compilers a lot earlier than Qt and we had to find a version that still supported Qt's minimum (MSVC 2015 and mingw 7.3 I think). They are moving much faster than Qt. As soon as we drop MSVC2015 we might be able to update to a newer Sha of Angle, but by then Angle might have risen their requirements as well.

Another approach would be having the Angle patches inside Qt but I image that having HDR support might be a bigger undertaking and thus this might not be a feasible solution.

Olli