[Interest] Future of Qt Opensource SDK?

Bo Thorsen bo at fioniasoftware.dk
Fri Oct 12 17:03:29 CEST 2012

Den 12-10-2012 16:04, Attila Csipa skrev:
> On 10/12/2012 03:56 PM, Wolfgang Baron wrote:
>> Hi Bo Thorsen,
>>
>> 2012-10-12T11:47:02+0200 Bo Thorsen <bo at fioniasoftware.dk>:
>>> You have to download Qt creator and Qt separately.
>> Where can I get all the additional stuff then, which enables me to compile
>> and deploy on mobile devices and the emulator?
> I think it's easier the other way round (add new Qt and QtCreator in the
> old SDK).

I have done this, but if you don't need the simulator or the embedded
devices targets, there's no point in it.

>   Note that AFAIK some of the targets (most notably Symbian)
> have been known to be broken/untested/removed in newer versions of
> QtCreator, so there's not much point releasing it...

Symbian is just dead. If you have to keep some apps going, stay with the
known good version of the SDK.

>   QtCreator 2.6 seems
> to work OK-ish (with a few caveats, admittedly) if you use it as a
> drop-in replacement for the 2.4 shipped in the old QtSDK (I use that
> combo for building/deploying things to Harmattan devices).

The hidden point in your mail here is that at this point anyone who
needs a working environment for a target system is left to try and
figure out a good combination of Qt, Creator and perhaps SDK. That is
about as bad a situation as possible :(

It would be great if the simulator and deployment code was picked up by
some people and released as an add on to Creator.

Bo Thorsen.
Fionia Software - Qt experts for hire.