[PySide] What is required for a minimal installation of the runtime components?

Zak pyside at m.allo.ws
Sat Sep 22 19:13:26 CEST 2012

Hello PySide People,

I am building a Windows 7 PySide application for internal use only at my
company, so complying with licenses, such as including source code, is
not necessary, and installation does not have to be very convenient.

Currently, to install my PySide application, I need to download and
install the entire Qt SDK version 1.2.1 for Windows, which is 1.7 GB. I
download it from this page:

http://qt-project.org/downloads

Question 1. If I just want to install the runtime dependencies, and not
the entire development kit, can I download one of the "Qt Library"
packages from further down on that page?

Question 2. Do I want the MinGW, VS 2008, or VS 2010 version?

Question 3. I see that those downloads are .EXEs, so do I just run them
to install the library?

Question 4. Because I am using PySide and not C++, do I actually need to
install the whole 1.7 GB SDK for development? Could I have developed my
PySide application just as easily with just the ~300 MB "Qt Library"? Or
do I need the full SDK?

Currently, to install PySide, I need to download and install
PySide-1.1.2.win32-py2.7.exe from this page:

http://qt-project.org/wiki/PySide_Binaries_Windows

I am guessing that in this case, the runtime dependencies are exactly
the same as the development kit dependencies, so I still need to install
this same thing even if I am just running the application, not
developing it.

Question 5. Do I need to install PySide-1.1.2.win32-py2.7.exe for
runtime, even if I am not developing? (I am guessing yes.)

Thank you,

Zak